Is Your Baby Sleeping During The Day and Up All Night?
Is your baby sleeping during the day and waking up all night? If the answer is yes, you are not alone. Babies, by default, have a bizarre sleep routine. To make them enjoy a sounder sleep at night, you need to make some changes in their day-routine.
Try the following tips to make your baby (and hence you) sleep through the night:
- Start his day early, i.e., wake your newborn up early in the morning.
- Reduce the length and duration of daytime naps. To know all about the average baby sleep according to your little one's age, click here.
- Try involving your little one in different games like playing peak-a-boo or giving him rattle and toys to play with. Also try talking to him as much as you can, preferably at varying pitch. This will keep him busy, though he may not be able to understand exactly what you are saying, but he won’t get bored, for sure! Staying awake for a long duration will automatically trigger the infant sleep cycle.
- If your little one likes to doze off during breast or bottle feed, wake him up gently by stroking his earlobe or chin. However, make sure you do not over do keeping him awake for too long at day time as he might then make a habit of staying up and may find it hard to fall asleep as the night approaches.
- Differentiate between night-time and daytime. During daytime, make
sure the curtains are drawn open; the house is well-lit and full of
sounds like that of TV or people talking. During night-time, everything
needs to calm down for your newborn baby. If you have other children,
make sure they do not run across the hallway, shout or watch TV at high
volume at night time.
- Try giving your baby a nice warm bath before tucking him in his cot. Baths can be very soothing for your baby. If you have the time and energy, try oil-massaging
your baby first, then let your baby lie down for 15 minutes, and then
give him a bath. This facilitates a relatively better sleep.
- Make a routine of singing him some nice lullabies at bed time so that when he hears you sing them, he understands that it’s time to go to sleep.
- Ensure that the baby crib is at a nice quiet place in the room. If your baby is co-sleeping, make sure you minimize your movements at his sleep time.
Who doesn't love a sleeping baby? I see all moms (and dads) raising their hands! If your baby does not have a proper sleep routine, this will result in making you cranky (or crankier!). And who likes a cranky mom? None of the dads will raise their hands here!
Remember, the earlier you set up newborn sleeping routine, the easier will it be for you and your spouse. If you haven’t set a sleeping routine yet, it’s never too late. Your baby is learning new things everyday, so teach him how to sleep well at night, and both you and your partner will be able to enjoy some sound sleep it as well.
Return to Sleep section.
Return from Baby Sleeping article to Homepage.
Baby Sleeping Quotes & One Liners:
- People who say they sleep like a baby usually don’t have any. :o)
- A conscience is like a baby. It has to go to sleep before you can.
- Having children is like living in a frat house - nobody sleeps, everything's broken, and there's a lot of throwing up. - Ray Romano
- The long-awaited moment when you go to the loo or sit down to eat is the same moment when your deep asleep baby wakes up & starts to cry.
Visit our Baby Jokes section for some more parental laughs.
Subscribe to our FREE NEWSLETTER !